My Top 10 Films of 2017

The staff over at Cinema Knife Fight had combined forces to share our Top Ten Films of 2017. Unlike in the past where we each devote a full column to our favorites, we combined into one and listed them bullet-style. And here are my specific favorites (updated 1/25/18 as I continue to catch-up on my 2017 movie viewing):

Ten: A GHOST STORY
Nine: THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI
Eight: IT
Seven: THE GREATEST SHOWMAN
Six: BLADE RUNNER 2049
Five: WONDER WOMAN
Four: LOGAN
Three: BABY DRIVER
Two: GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, VOL. 2
One: THOR: RAGNAROK

I know, at the end of 2016, I also had not yet seen the new STAR WARS movie. Shamefully, it’s the same situation in 2017. I’m certain it would have been on my Top 10. There are many others I want to see and will, likely, over the next couple of months leading up the Academy Awards. The list above is as honest as I can make it. THOR: RAGNAROK takes the top spot. Even with me having high expectations, it exceeded them. I laughed all the way through, thoroughly entertained. I could say a lot about these films, but have limited space. Kudos to the top films on my almost-list: DUNKIRKGET OUT, KONG: SKULL ISLAND, SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING and SPLIT. Enjoyed them, but not quite as much as these ten. Special shout-out to Sam Rockwell for his amazing performance in THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI. If he doesn’t take the Oscar this March, it will be a shame.