DEADPOOL 2 (2018)

A Cinema Knife Fight review with L.L. Soares (one that seems to go against the general grain around this film!). CKF reviews are two or more reviewers going toe to toe on a single movie, agreeing or not, with a healthy dose of sarcasm. The following was actually the last CKF review before Cinema Knife Fight ceased publication. Lauran leads the discussion this time around, on a quest for peace in his heart, while I try to keep him calm:

(WARNING: THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!)

(THE SCENE: Outside the X-MEN’s mansion. LL SOARES has a bullhorn)

LS: Come out, come out whoever you are! I know there’s got to be more X-Men in there than just Colossus!

(Turns to face the audience) Oh, hi. You kind of crept up on me there. Here I am, trying to get the X-Men riled up so maybe we can have a little action this time in the column. But they’re not taking the bait. Either that, or nobody’s home.

(A figure finally emerges from the house. It’s DAN KEOHANE, with metal skin)

LS:  It’s IRON DAN!

DK:  Titanium, actually. You’re wasting your time, by the way. Nobody’s here except me.

LS: You’re an X-Man now?

DK: Trainee. They make me wear a shirt that says it and everything. It’s kind of embarrassing.

LS: Well, why don’t you take a break from house-sitting and review the new movie with me?

DK: DEADPOOL 2? Sure. I haven’t got anything better to do.

LS: Gee, thanks for the enthusiasm.

DL: No offense. It’s just that the X-Men don’t give me anything to do. I could use a distraction.

LS: Okay, great. I’ll start.

For the record, I loved the original DEADPOOL movie (I gave it three and a half knives – I’m surprised I didn’t give it more, check out the review here). It was a real breath of fresh air among all the formulaic superhero movies that Marvel and DC were putting out at the time. Not to say those other movies were bad, they were just a bit predictable. DEADPOOL, by definition, was unpredictable and fun. And the superhero genre needed a shot in the arm. Still does.

Of course, DEADPOOL was a huge hit and the rest is history. And now, we’ve got the inevitable sequel, DEADPOOL 2. A movie I was really excited about.

DK: Me, too. I tried not to watch the trailers, but they were too funny not to, unfortunately like all trailers they gave a lot of the fun stuff away. Not all, but I hate going in knowing too much about a movie. Still, I was pretty excited to see this. I agree, the original DEADPOOL was refreshing, both in its approach to the fourth wall, and the R-rated-ness of the violence and language.

LS: In fact, I’d even heard some buzz that Number 2 was even better than the first one! Wow! I couldn’t wait...but that buzz was wrong.

DK: I didn’t expect it to be better. To be honest, few sequels (such as TERMINATOR 2, 1991, and ALIENS, 1986, ever have been), but I did expect it to be fun.

LS: For the record, T2 wasn’t better than the first one. It just had a bigger budget. And it introduced the whole “Arnold, you’re not allowed to kill anyone” bullshit. I hated that! ALIENS was good, but not better than ALIEN (1979). Although, compared to everything ALIEN-related that came after ALIENS, it was a pretty good sequel.

DK: T2 was light years better, but I’ll give you ALIENS wasn’t better, but just as good.

LS: So, back to DEADPOOL 2. Let’s start out with the story. I actually thought the plot for this new one kinda sucked. We begin, pretty early on, with something really sad happening (I won’t say what) and it brings all the comedic, fun stuff to a grinding halt.

DK: Yes! Though I figured what happened would happen—there was too much of a setup you see in so many movies—it wasn’t surprising. And there was never an explanation as to who the culprits were.

LS: They were the drug dealer bad guys he started the movie off fighting with! You need to pay attention. But man, DEADPOOL movies are supposed to be fun. And this early tragedy was kind of a buzzkill. I know it was meant to add gravitas to the whole thing. But I don’t go to a DEADPOOL movie for gravitas.

Then, our buddy Deadpool becomes a trainee X-Man thanks to Colossus bringing him into the fold. This should be really funny, and there are some good moments, but then we come to his first big assignment. Trying to calm down a kid who shoots fire from his hands, named Russell (Julian Dennison), calling himself Firefist.

If you thought that “tragic event” early on brought things to a halt, then you haven’t met Firefist. He hits the movie’s brakes in a screeching, whiplash-causing way. Because, frankly, the kid sucks. As a character, as a plot device, as a potential villain,  I absolutely hated this kid. And, jokes on me, because he’s a MAJOR player in the movie, so I’m gonna see a lot of him. Whether I want to or not.

I say “not.”

DK: Did you have a bad week or something?

LS: No, just had my expectations crapped on, is all.

DK: In a way, we all expected the tone throughout to be goofy, violent fun, with no darkness filtering through the script’s light, to be poetic for a moment. Maybe all this dark stuff was deliberate, a way to shatter the expectations of the die-hard fans.

LS: There’s dark for a purpose, and then there’s dark just to tug at our heartstrings in a sappy way. Oh boy, this off-the-wall wacky character can cry, too. Gee, isn’t that precious. Frankly, I can do without that.

DK: I didn’t have as much of an issue with Russell. I understand why he was in the plot based on what happens in the earlier scene, and it gives Wade Wilson (Deadpool’s actual name, following the comic book penchant for using alliteration for names) motivation to live throughout the plot. One thing I liked about the casting was that this kid isn’t your typical child character. He’s a tad overweight, not well spoken, and for some odd reason developed a New Zealand accent halfway through.

LS: I had no problem with the actor played Firenose. It’s his character I despised. And the whole Edgy-Character-Bonds-With-Misunderstood-Kid crap. The kid works with the plot, because the plot was lame. Reminds me of that little girl in LOGAN (2017), except I didn’t mind her as much. First off, she was a better actor. Second, she actually had some edge to her. But what’s with all these R-rated superhero movies and bonding with kids? Just strikes me as a bit odd. You remove restraints on language and violence and then add emotional ones. Save that for the PG-13 crowd. I want ANARCHY!